Learn about IEEE’s open access options and processing charges.
IEEE offers three options for open access (OA) publishing:
- Hybrid journals are traditional subscription journals that accept OA content. Over 100 IEEE Transactions, Journals, and Letters offer hybrid publication. The article processing charge for publishing in a hybrid journal is $2,045 as of 1 January 2019.
- Topical journals are fully open access journals that are dedicated to a specific subject area. Article processing charges for publishing in a topical journal range from $1,220 to $1,820. Some topical journals may charge additional fees such as overlength fees. See the author instructions of the individual journal for specific details.
- IEEE Access is a multidisciplinary, fully open access journal that covers all of IEEE’s fields of interest. The article processing charge for publishing in IEEE Access is $1,750.
Authors from low-income countries
Authors from low-income countries are eligible for waivers and discounts on article processing charges.
- Corresponding authors from low-income countries (as classified by the World Bank) are eligible for a 100% waiver on article processing charges.
- Corresponding authors from lower-middle-income countries with a 2017 gross domestic product of less than US$200 billion are eligible for a 50% discount on article processing charges.